Worldwide survey of damage from swallowing multiple magnets

@article{Oestreich2008WorldwideSO,
  title={Worldwide survey of damage from swallowing multiple magnets},
  author={Alan Emil Oestreich},
  journal={Pediatric Radiology},
  year={2008},
  volume={39},
  pages={142-147}
}
  • A. Oestreich
  • Published 1 February 2009
  • Medicine
  • Pediatric Radiology
BackgroundIt is increasingly recognized that in children swallowed multiple magnets cause considerable damage to the gastrointestinal tract.ObjectiveTo emphasize that complications from swallowed magnets are extensive worldwide and throughout childhood.Materials and methodsThe author surveyed radiologists and researched cases of magnet swallowing in the literature and documented age and gender, numbers of magnets, nature of the magnets, reasons for swallowing, and clinical course.ResultsA total… 
Gastrointestinal damage caused by swallowing multiple magnets
TLDR
A literature search was performed to establish an algorithm for these accidents by the authors to identify relevant articles published from June 1987 to October 2010 in Google, Medline, ISI Web of Knowledge Ovid, CNKI, and library document delivery.
Multiple magnet ingestion: Is there a role for early surgical intervention?
TLDR
This study presents three unique cases of multiple magnet ingestion: one case an 8-year-old boy withmultiple magnet ingestion resulting in gastric obstruction and the other two cases with intestinal perforations due to multiple magnet intake.
Multiple Magnetic Foreign Bodies Causing Severe Digestive Tract Injuries in a Child
TLDR
Ingestion of multiple magnets may be related to increased morbidity resulting in a delay of recognition of FB injury that can lead to serious complications and require surgical resolution.
Abstract MAGNETIC FOREIGN BODY INGESTION IN CHILDREN : IMPACT OF SURGICAL INTERVENTION TIMING . A CASE SERIES AND LITERATURE REVIEW
TLDR
This paper presents the experience where earlier surgical intervention was required to extract magnets in children referred to a tertiary Paediatric Surgery centre, and recommends close observation, high index of suspicion and early surgical intervention.
Annals of Pediatrics & Child Health Special Issue on Pediatric Gastroenterology Disorders Multiple Magnet Ingestion Leading to Intestinal Fistula in an Autistic 13 Year Old Female
TLDR
While foreign body ingestion is most commonly seen in young children, other pediatric populations, such as children with autism, are also at risk and familiarity with the common symptoms and early recognition are crucial for the management of these cases.
Rare-Earth Magnet Ingestion–Related Injuries Among Children, 2000-2012
TLDR
It is demonstrated that pediatric ingestion of rare-earth magnets can cause serious gastrointestinal injury, and establishing a performance standard that limits the attraction force of these magnets offers the best prevention solution to this important pediatric public health problem.
Magnets, children and the bowel: a dangerous attraction?
TLDR
The goal of managing such cases of suspected magnet ingestion should be aimed at reducing delays between ingestion time, diagnosis time and intervention time.
Troubling Toys: Rare-Earth Magnet Ingestion in Children Causing Bowel Perforations
TLDR
This paper describes 2 young healthy children who ingested rare-earth magnets Buckyballs while playing with these magnetic toys and later presented in emergency with acute abdomen, and highlights the potential dangers of rare- earth magnets in children.
[Intestinal perforation due to multiple magnet ingestion: a case report].
TLDR
Pediatric surgeons should be aware of the complications of multiple magnet ingestion and follow-up with daily abdominal X-rays should be done, and in cases where magnets seem to cluster together or if acute abdominal signs develop, surgical exploration should be considered.
Swallowed magnets and batteries: a dangerous but not unexpected attraction
TLDR
It is recommended that children who have swallowed separately >1 magnetic objects (or >1 objects capable of magnetic attraction) be managed as inpatients with active observation and timely foreign body removal.
...
...

References

SHOWING 1-10 OF 64 REFERENCES
[Accidental ingestion of two magnets--aggresive or prolonged approach?].
TLDR
Ingestion of more than one magnets is an strong indication for an immediate endoscopic intervention to prevent of lesion formation in the soft tissues located between two objects with paramagnetic properties which may cause ischemic necrosis and perforation of the GI tract wall.
Gastrointestinal injuries from magnet ingestion in children--United States, 2003-2006.
  • Medicine
    MMWR. Morbidity and mortality weekly report
  • 2006
TLDR
This report describes three selected cases and summarizes the 20 cases of magnet ingestion identified by CPSC that occurred during 2003-2006, and advises caregivers to keep small magnets away from young children and be aware of the unique risks that magnets pose if ingested.
Multiple magnet ingestion as a source of severe gastrointestinal complications requiring surgical intervention.
TLDR
Ingestion of multiple magnets can cause minimal initial physical examination findings but result in significant complications, including bowel perforation, volvulus, ischemia, and death, and early surgical intervention can prevent significant morbidity and mortality.
Ingestion of magnetic foreign bodies causing multiple bowel perforations
TLDR
A 3-year-old boy who presented to the emergency room with the suspicion of having swallowed an unknown number of industrial metallic objects, subsequently shown to be magnets developed multiple bowel perforations caused by the swallowed magnets that were attracted across the bowel walls.
[Accidental ingestion of magnets in children. Report of three cases].
TLDR
A four year-old female, was transferred from a hospital where she had been operated for a magnet ingestion that provoked three perforations in the small bowel, and was operated with a perforation of the anterior wall of the stomach and three magnets were extracted.
[Multiple bowel perforations after swallowing magnetic toys].
TLDR
The case of a 6-year-old autistic boy who swallowed 4 magnets which led to bowel obstruction and 8 small perforations is described and it is important to be aware of this potential risk if children ingest small magnetic toys.
Magnetic attraction leading to a small bowel obstruction in a child
TLDR
This case demonstrates the need for close observation and early surgical intervention in children with a suspected history of foreign body ingestion, a clinical picture of gastrointestinal distress, and radiographic evidence of a radio-opaque foreign object.
Magnets in the stomach.
...
...