Tumor differentiation as related to sentinel lymph node status in gastric cancer.

Abstract

AIM To investigate the influence of tumor grade on sentinel lymph node (SLN) status in patients with gastric cancer (GC). METHODS We retrospectively studied 71 patients with GC who underwent SLN mapping during gastric surgery to evaluate the relationship between SLN status and tumor grade. RESULTS Poorly differentiated tumors were detected in 50/71 patients, while the other 21 patients had moderately differentiated tumors. SLNs were identified in 58/71 patients (82%). In 41 of the 58 patients that were found to have stained nodes (70.7%), the tumor was of the poorly differentiated type (group I), while in the remaining patients with stained nodes 17/58 (29.3%), the tumor was of the moderately differentiated type (group II). Positive SLNs were found in 22/41 patients in group I (53.7%) and in 7/17 patients in group II (41.2%) (P = 0.325). The rate of positivity for the SLNs in the two groups (53.7% vs 41.2%) was not statistically significant (P = 0.514). CONCLUSION Most of our patients were found to have poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma of the stomach and there was no correlation between tumor grade and SLN involvement.

DOI: 10.4240/wjgs.v6.i1.1

Cite this paper

@article{Lavy2014TumorDA, title={Tumor differentiation as related to sentinel lymph node status in gastric cancer.}, author={Ron Lavy and Andronik Kapiev and Yehuda Hershkovitz and Natan Poluksht and Igor Rabin and Bar Chikman and Zahar Shapira and Ilan Wasserman and Judith Sandbank and Ariel Halevy}, journal={World journal of gastrointestinal surgery}, year={2014}, volume={6 1}, pages={1-4} }