[Treatment of renoureteral lithiasis using extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy. Experience in Cuba].

Abstract

Herein we present our experience in 5,000 cases of reno-ureteral lithiasis submitted to treatment at the Extracorporeal Lithotripsy Unit of Hermanos Ameijeiras Hospital in Havana, Cuba, from April 1986 and during a period spanning 30 months. Treatment was exclusively by extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) in 85.5% of the patients and in combination with other procedures in 14.5% (endoscopic maneuvers in 5.9%, percutaneous nephrostomy 4.4%, open surgery 3.6%, and percutaneous nephrolithotripsy 0.6%). Complications were observed in 7% of the cases: ureteric obstruction (6.4%) with or without infection, perirenal hematoma (0.4%), and obstructive anuria (0.2%); acute urinary infection of different clinical types, some of which were very severe, were observed concomitantly in 2.6% of these patients. Two months following treatment, 86% of the cases were completely stone-free. At 6 months 96.2% were completely stone-free; the remaining 3.8% were classed as residual lithiasis. The pathologic conditions that put patients at high therapeutic risk and the possible complications that could arise were identified. The efficacy of the Dornier HM-3 lithotripter and the health care system that permits its extensive use are highlighted.

Cite this paper

@article{Masvidal1989TreatmentOR, title={[Treatment of renoureteral lithiasis using extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy. Experience in Cuba].}, author={E Larrea Masvidal and C Garc{\'i}a Serrano and D{\'a}maso Hern{\'a}ndez Silverio and M Castillo Rodr{\'i}guez and J Casals Armada and C Vald{\'e}s G{\'o}mez and D B{\'a}ez Hern{\'a}ndez}, journal={Archivos españoles de urología}, year={1989}, volume={42 Suppl 1}, pages={109-15} }