The space of the sea in Montesquieu's political thought

@article{Li2018TheSO,
  title={The space of the sea in Montesquieu's political thought},
  author={Hansong Li},
  journal={Global Intellectual History},
  year={2018},
  volume={6},
  pages={421 - 442}
}
  • Hansong Li
  • Published 25 September 2018
  • Art, History
  • Global Intellectual History
ABSTRACT From the scientific and literary expression ‘flux et reflux’ to the political and juridical language of the ‘citoyens du navire,’ the ocean as a physical and social space is a salient thread over time and across genres in Montesquieu's political thought. Amidst the high tides of maritime expansion and oceanic trade, Montesquieu's perspective of the sea, far from static, evolved along with the thinker. This essay for the first time uses the space of the sea to navigate Montesquieu's… 
1 Citations

Timing the laws: Rousseau’s theory of development in Corsica

  • Hansong Li
  • Economics
    The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought
  • 2022
Abstract This paper reinterprets Rousseau’s theory of political and economic development through the lens of time. In his governmental plan for Corsica, Rousseau sees an infirm political body about

References

SHOWING 1-10 OF 89 REFERENCES

Montesquieu on the History and Geography of Political Liberty

Montesquieu on the History and Geography of Political Liberty Rebecca R. Clark Dissertation Advisor: Christopher Kelly Montesquieu famously presents climate and terrain as enabling servitude in hot,

Virtue, commerce and moderation in the 'tale of the troglodytes': Montesquieu's Persian Letters

Recent scholarship has stressed Montesquieu's theory of moderate politics, suggesting that these contradictions exist only when we assume that Montesquieu was extolling the merits of a specific

Montesquieu and early liberal thought : the dilemma of the citizen in the modern state.

Montesquieu and Early Liberal Thought: The Dilemma of the Citizen in the Modern State September 1981 Stephen J. Rosow, B.A., Columbia University Ph.D., University of Massachusetts Directed by: Jerome

Immortal Joy: William Blake and the Cultural Politics of Empire

At that momentous historical turning point, towards the end of the eighteenth century, in which almost every attempt to represent otherness seemed to slip into the exoticizing political aesthetic

Montesquieu and the Logic of Liberty: War, Religion, Commerce, Climate, Terrain, Technology, Uneasiness of Mind, the Spirit of Political Vigilance, and the Foundations of the Modern Republic

This fresh examination of the works of Montesquieu seeks to understand the shortcomings of the modern democratic state in light of this great political thinker's insightful critique of commercial

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

From the Renaissance to the nineteenth century, Latin and Greek were compulsory subjects in almost all European universities, and most early modern scholars published their research and conducted

Oceanic histories

About 70% of the earth’s surface is covered by water and only the remaining 30% of it is dry land. In spite of this, even in recent times, attempts to describe human events in a global and deep

Maritime orientalism, or the political theory of water

According to Edward Said, orientalism was a culturally constructed 'other' designed by Europeans to give expression to their claim to be 'the West'. The East was torpid, despotic, libidinous and

Literature and the Law of Nations, 1580-1680

The Stakes of International Law and Literature From Epic to Public International Law: Philip Sidney, Alberico Gentili, and "Intercourse Among Enemies" Jacobean Comedy and the Anagnorisis of Private

Six Unknown Letters from Mersenne to Vegelin

(ProQuest: ... denotes non-US-ASCII text omitted.)The published correspondence of the Minim friar Marin Mersenne (1588-1648) fills seventeen fat volumes, and constitutes one of the most important
...