The self-governing Internet: coordination by design

@inproceedings{Gillett1997TheSI,
  title={The self-governing Internet: coordination by design},
  author={Sharon Eisner Gillett and Mitchell Kapor},
  year={1997}
}
Contrary to its popular portrayal as anarchy, the Internet is actually managed, though not by a manager in the traditional sense of the word. This paper explains how the decentralized Internet is coordinated into a unified system. It draws an analogy to an organizational style in which a manager sets up a system that allows 99% of day-to-day functions to be handled by empowered employees, leaving the manager free to deal with the 1% of exceptional issues. Within that framework, it discusses… CONTINUE READING