The density of reinnervation of adult rat superior cervical sympathetic ganglionic neurons is limited by the number of available postsynaptic sites

@article{Field1985TheDO,
  title={The density of reinnervation of adult rat superior cervical sympathetic ganglionic neurons is limited by the number of available postsynaptic sites},
  author={Pauline M. Field and Geoffrey Raisman},
  journal={Brain Research},
  year={1985},
  volume={360},
  pages={398-402}
}
The adult rat superior cervical ganglion has about 27,000 neurons and is innervated by about 9000 preganglionic axons which make a total of nearly 11 million synapses. Surgical removal of the upper part of the ganglion, reducing the number of neurons to about 20%, causes an overall reduction of the number of synapses to about 30%, but has no effect on the numbers of preganglionic axons. Thus, a 5-fold increase in the axon/neuron ratio causes an increase of only about 50% in the number of… CONTINUE READING