Rapid fish species identification by agarose gel isoelectric focusing of sarcoplasmic proteins.

  • R C Lundstrom
  • Published 1981 in
    Journal - Association of Official Analytical…

Abstract

A rapid method is described for fish species identification by agarose gel isoelectric focusing (AGIEF). The AGIEF method can be completed in less than 2 h and gives reproducible species-specific sarcoplasmic protein patterns. Protein patterns are similar using either centrifuged tissue fluid or muscle tissue as the sample. One species, monkfish (Lophius americanus), has a polymorphic protein pattern. A predominant pattern was found in 66.7% of the individuals; 2 variant patterns were equally distributed among the remaining 33.3%. AGIEF offers a more rapid, less expensive alternative to the current AOAC official first action method for fish species identification based on polyacrylamide gel isoelectric focusing.

Cite this paper

@article{Lundstrom1981RapidFS, title={Rapid fish species identification by agarose gel isoelectric focusing of sarcoplasmic proteins.}, author={R C Lundstrom}, journal={Journal - Association of Official Analytical Chemists}, year={1981}, volume={64 1}, pages={38-43} }