Possible potassium chlorate nephrotoxicity associated with chronic matchstick ingestion*

Abstract

We present a case of a 48-year-old active duty male soldier with a history of chronic exposure to potassium chlorate, later diagnosed with chronic interstitial nephritis. He reported regular matchstick consumption to prevent chigger (Trombicula autumnalis) bites, amounting to ∼5.8 g of potassium chlorate over 3 years. Potassium chlorate can cause anuric renal failure within days of a toxic dose. Its slow excretion and mechanism of action suggest that renal toxicity may result from lower-dose chronic exposure. This case represents possible sequelae of chronic potassium chlorate ingestion.

DOI: 10.1093/ckj/sft034

Extracted Key Phrases

1 Figure or Table

Cite this paper

@inproceedings{Thurlow2013PossiblePC, title={Possible potassium chlorate nephrotoxicity associated with chronic matchstick ingestion*}, author={John S. Thurlow and Dustin J. Little and Thomas P. Baker and Christina M. Yuan}, booktitle={Clinical kidney journal}, year={2013} }