Noninvasive genotyping and Mendelian analysis of microsatellites in African savannah elephants.

@article{Okello2005NoninvasiveGA,
  title={Noninvasive genotyping and Mendelian analysis of microsatellites in African savannah elephants.},
  author={John B A Okello and George Wittemyer and Henrik Berg Rasmussen and Iain Douglas-Hamilton and Silvester Nyakaana and Peter Arctander and Hans Redlef Siegismund},
  journal={The Journal of heredity},
  year={2005},
  volume={96 6},
  pages={679-87}
}
We obtained fresh dung samples from 202 (133 mother-offspring pairs) savannah elephants (Loxodonta africana) in Samburu, Kenya, and genotyped them at 20 microsatellite loci to assess genotyping success and errors. A total of 98.6% consensus genotypes was successfully obtained, with allelic dropout and false allele rates at 1.6% (n = 46) and 0.9% (n = 37) of heterozygous and total consensus genotypes, respectively, and an overall genotyping error rate of 2.5% based on repeat typing. Mendelian… CONTINUE READING

Citations

Publications citing this paper.
Showing 1-10 of 12 extracted citations

References

Publications referenced by this paper.
Showing 1-10 of 64 references

Low genotyping error rates in wild ungulate faeces sampled in winter

  • C Maudet, G Luikart, D Durray, A Von Hardensberg, P Taberlet
  • Mol Ecol Notes
  • 2004
Highly Influential
4 Excerpts

Similar Papers

Loading similar papers…