Minimally invasive staging of N2 disease: endobronchial ultrasound/transesophageal endoscopic ultrasound, mediastinoscopy, and thoracoscopy.

@article{Schipper2008MinimallyIS,
  title={Minimally invasive staging of N2 disease: endobronchial ultrasound/transesophageal endoscopic ultrasound, mediastinoscopy, and thoracoscopy.},
  author={Paul H. Schipper and Matt Schoolfield},
  journal={Thoracic surgery clinics},
  year={2008},
  volume={18 4},
  pages={363-79}
}
In 2005 the American College of Surgeons conducted a survey examining lung cancer practice patterns at 729 hospitals in the United States. In 11,668 surgically treated patients, 92% received a preoperative chest CT. Only 27% of these patients underwent mediastinoscopy, and lymph node material was sampled in less than half of these patients. At the time of surgical resection, additional mediastinal lymph nodes were sampled in only 58% of patients. In the remaining 42% only the lymph node… CONTINUE READING