Methaemoglobinaemia following ingestion of a commonly available food additive.

@article{Maric2008MethaemoglobinaemiaFI,
  title={Methaemoglobinaemia following ingestion of a commonly available food additive.},
  author={P. Maric and S. Samar Ali and Leon G. Heron and D. Rosenfeld and Matthew Greenwood},
  journal={The Medical journal of Australia},
  year={2008},
  volume={188 3},
  pages={156-8}
}
Five cases of methaemoglobinaemia after ingestion of sodium nitrite occurred in two clusters in Sydney in 2006. All cases were unintentional poisonings following use in cooking of an imported compound sold as a food additive. In all cases, methaemoglobinaemia was recognised early and treated promptly, with all patients making a full recovery. These cases highlight the importance of accurate food labelling and surveillance of imported goods. 

From This Paper

Topics from this paper.

References

Publications referenced by this paper.
Showing 1-10 of 17 references

Southeast Asia using a novel diagnostic kit

  • SM Bradberry, TC Aw, NR Williams, JA. Vale
  • Trop Med Int Health
  • 2004

Similar Papers

Loading similar papers…