Low molecular weight chemicals, hypersensitivity, and direct toxicity: the acid anhydrides.

@article{Venables1989LowMW,
  title={Low molecular weight chemicals, hypersensitivity, and direct toxicity: the acid anhydrides.},
  author={Katherine M. Venables},
  journal={British journal of industrial medicine},
  year={1989},
  volume={46 4},
  pages={222-32}
}
The acid anhydrides are a group of reactive chemicals used widely in alkyd and epoxy resins. The major hazards to health are mucosal and skin irritation and sensitisation of the respiratory tract. Most occupational asthma caused by acid anhydrides appears to be immunologically mediated. Immunological mechanisms have been proposed to explain an influenza-like syndrome and pulmonary haemorrhage, but direct toxicity may also be important in the aetiology of these conditions. 

Citations

Publications citing this paper.
Showing 1-10 of 30 extracted citations

What makes a chemical a respiratory sensitizer?

Current opinion in allergy and clinical immunology • 2005

Similar Papers

Loading similar papers…