[Leiomyoma of the bladder. Analysis of a collection of 90 cases].

Abstract

INTRODUCTION Bladder leiomyomas (BL) are rare. Most publications regarding these tumours are reports of isolated cases; therefore they don't allow an evaluation of diagnostic and treatment procedures. MATERIAL & METHODS We preformed a pooled analysis of 90 cases of BL reported in the literature. RESULTS Mean age was 45.3 (19 to 85 years), 68 (75.6%) were women. Filling symptoms were the most frequently reported (50%), followed by voiding symptoms (24.4%). Twenty four patients (26.7%) were asymptomatic. Tumours were endoluminal in 46 patients (51.1%), intramural in 27 (30%) and extravesical in 15 (16.7%). A laparotomy was performed in 56 patients (62.2%), with enucleation in 29 (32.2%), partial cystectomy in 25 (27.8%) and total cystectomy in 2 (2.2%). A transurethral resection was preformed in 27 (30%) and a transvaginal resection in 5 (5.6%). Two patients underwent conservative treatment. In 3 cases there were reports of recurrence and one patient got a vesicovaginal fistula. CONCLUSIONS Although BL are rare, when evaluating bladder tumours, imaging techniques can make suspect of this neoplasm. Surgical treatment of these tumours has a very high success rate. Usually an enucleation or a transurethral resection is sufficient to render the patient tumour free, avoiding a more iatrogenic surgery.

Statistics

02040'03'05'07'09'11'13'15'17
Citations per Year

52 Citations

Semantic Scholar estimates that this publication has 52 citations based on the available data.

See our FAQ for additional information.

Cite this paper

@article{SilvaRamos2003LeiomyomaOT, title={[Leiomyoma of the bladder. Analysis of a collection of 90 cases].}, author={Miguel Silva-Ramos and Pedro Mass{\'o} and Rui Versos and Jorge Soares and Alex Pimenta}, journal={Actas urologicas españolas}, year={2003}, volume={27 8}, pages={581-6} }