Ichthyosarcotoxism: poisoning by edible fish.

  • Iain C Grant
  • Published 1997 in Journal of accident & emergency medicine

Abstract

The term ichthyosarcotoxism describes a variety of conditions arising as the result of poisoning by fish flesh. Poisoning by shellfish and other invertebrates is excluded, as is bacterial food poisoning from contaminated fish. Although most of the conditions are experienced mainly in warmer climates than Britain's, one form of fish poisoning is relatively common here, and others may be imported, either through imported fish or by travellers. The conditions could present to any accident and emergency (A&E) department, and increased awareness of these disease entities may improve diagnosis and management. It has long been known that some normally edible fish species may from time to time cause poisoning. Many of the early records of these conditions come from the Royal Navy. Both Captain Blighl and Captain Cook2 described illness among their crews after eating fish which were known usually to be safe. The first detailed medical treatise on fish poisoning in the West Indies was written by the Surgeon on

Cite this paper

@article{Grant1997IchthyosarcotoxismPB, title={Ichthyosarcotoxism: poisoning by edible fish.}, author={Iain C Grant}, journal={Journal of accident & emergency medicine}, year={1997}, volume={14 4}, pages={246-51} }