The Medical Academy of Magdeburg was founded in 1954, but at that time the university did not have its own urological department. It was founded in 1957. Chiefs of the department were Hartwig Eggers (through 1958), Gerhard Wilhelm Heise (1958-1976), Gerd-Wolfgang Mueller (1976-1994), and Ernst Peter Allhoff (since 1994). The department has an interesting history. Numerous famous urologists were trained here.