Gamma-hydroxybutyrate poisoning from toy beads.

@article{Gunja2008GammahydroxybutyratePF,
  title={Gamma-hydroxybutyrate poisoning from toy beads.},
  author={Naren Gunja and Evelyn Doyle and Kevin Carpenter and Olivia T Chan and Simon R Gilmore and G. W. Browne and Andis Graudins},
  journal={The Medical journal of Australia},
  year={2008},
  volume={188 1},
  pages={54-5}
}
A 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl presented to the emergency department with a decreased level of consciousness. The girl had had persistent vomiting and a seizure. Urine metabolic screening tests were positive for gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB). Samples from toy beads ingested by both children contained 1,4-butanediol, which is metabolised to GHB in humans. Regulatory authorities were notified, leading to an international recall of the toy beads. 

From This Paper

Topics from this paper.

Citations

Publications citing this paper.

Similar Papers

Loading similar papers…