Functional recovery of respiratory behavior during axonal regeneration in snails (Lymnaea stagnalis) is experience dependent.

@article{Hermann2000FunctionalRO,
  title={Functional recovery of respiratory behavior during axonal regeneration in snails (Lymnaea stagnalis) is experience dependent.},
  author={Petra M. Hermann and Willem C Wildering and Andrew Bulloch},
  journal={Behavioral neuroscience},
  year={2000},
  volume={114 2},
  pages={
          410-23
        }
}
This study investigated the role of experience in recovery of pulmonary respiration during axonal regeneration in Lymnaea stagnalis. Pulmonary respiration occurs when snails break the water surface and open the lung orifice, the pneumostome. It was shown that axotomy of all the axons innervating the pneumostome and surrounding area prevents the occurrence of lung respiration in 69% of snails. In the remaining 31%, lung respiration persisted, indicating that peripheral components alone are… CONTINUE READING
BETA

Similar Papers