Frequency of ABO and Rh (D) Blood Groups and Hemoglobin Threshold among Pregnant Women in Family Guidance Association, Mekelle Model Clinic, North Ethiopia

  • Megbaru Alemu, Guesh Abrha, Gessessew Bugssa, Kiros Tedla
  • Published 2014

Abstract

This study was aimed to determine the frequency of ABO and Rh blood group patterns and hemoglobin threshold among pregnant women screened at Family Guidance Association of Ethiopia, North Area Mekelle model clinic. Checklists were prepared to collect data from laboratory registration books of five years to undergo this retrospective study. Those registration books were reviewed for ABO blood group, Rh profiles and hemoglobin threshold of the pregnant women screened during the specified period. A total of 5987 pregnant women have been found to be screened and the predominant phenotype in this study was O (41.5%) followed by phenotype A (28%), Phenotype B (25%) and phenotype AB (5.5%). Regarding Rh (D) system, 91.2% (5458/5987) women were positive for rhesus D antigen while the remaining 8.8% (529/5987) women were negative for the antigen. Blood grouping studies should be done in every region of the nation so that national transfusion policies can be drafted and supplying blood to the needy patients during emergency will be easier.

Cite this paper

@inproceedings{Alemu2014FrequencyOA, title={Frequency of ABO and Rh (D) Blood Groups and Hemoglobin Threshold among Pregnant Women in Family Guidance Association, Mekelle Model Clinic, North Ethiopia}, author={Megbaru Alemu and Guesh Abrha and Gessessew Bugssa and Kiros Tedla}, year={2014} }