Factors affecting the outcome of surgically treated non-iatrogenic traumatic cervical esophageal perforation: 28 years experience at a single center

Abstract

BACKGROUND We reviewed our experience with non-iatrogenic traumatic cervical esophageal perforations, paying particular attention to factors affecting the outcome of such cases. METHODS In total, 30 patients treated surgically between 1980 and 2008 for non-iatrogenic traumatic cervical esophageal perforation in our clinic were reviewed. RESULTS There were 25 male and 5 female patients with a median age of 27.5 years. The type of injury was external trauma in 21 (70%) patients and endoluminal injury in the remaining 9 (30%) patients. The mechanism of injury was gunshot in 16 patients, stabbing in 4, falling in 1 (extraluminal injury), and foreign body in 9 (endoluminal injuries). The overall mortality rate was 16.6% (5/30). The mortality rate for extraluminal injuries was 19%, and for endoluminal injuries was 11.1%. Mortality in patients treated within 24 h of sustaining injury was substantially less than in those for whom diagnosis and treatment were delayed (12.5 and 21.4%, respectively). The mortality rate was 33.3% (3/9) for patients with tracheal injuries and 9.5% (2/21) for those without tracheal injuries. CONCLUSIONS A treatment delay greater than 24 h, the presence of tracheal injury, or extraluminal perforation significantly affected the outcome of surgically treated non iatrogenic traumatic cervical esophageal perforation.

DOI: 10.1186/1749-8090-5-46

Extracted Key Phrases

2 Figures and Tables

0501001502011201220132014201520162017
Citations per Year

229 Citations

Semantic Scholar estimates that this publication has 229 citations based on the available data.

See our FAQ for additional information.

Cite this paper

@inproceedings{Onat2010FactorsAT, title={Factors affecting the outcome of surgically treated non-iatrogenic traumatic cervical esophageal perforation: 28 years experience at a single center}, author={Serdar Onat and Refik Ulku and Kemal M Cigdem and Alper Avci and Cemal Ozçelik}, booktitle={Journal of cardiothoracic surgery}, year={2010} }