Emergence of antiretroviral therapy resistance-associated primary mutations among drug-naive HIV-1-infected individuals in rural western Cameroon.

Abstract

The prevalence of antiretroviral therapy (ART) resistance-associated mutations among HIV-1 strains in western Cameroon was evaluated by genotypically analyzing strains isolated from drug-naive individuals. Proviral DNA was extracted from 54 blood samples and amplified by polymerase chain reaction of protease, reverse transcriptase, integrase, and envelope genes. At least 4 clones per sample were analyzed. Of 54 HIV-1 strains, 45 (83.3%) had a concordant subtype or circulating recombinant form (CRF) designation: 40 CRF02_AG, 2 subtype A1, 2 G, and 1 F2. The remaining 9 (16.7%) had a discordant subtype: 6 subtype A1/CRF02_AG, 2 D/CRF02, and 1 G/CRF02. Protease inhibitor-associated primary resistance mutations were found in 4 (7.4%) cases: M46L with full clones in 1 case, and M46I, M46L, and V82A as minor populations in 1 case each. Reverse transcriptase inhibitor-associated primary resistance mutations were found in 5 (9.8%) samples: Y188C in 2 cases, and L100I, M184V, and V75I in 1 case each, although all of these mutations were found as minor populations. This is one of the first reports of the emergence of primary ART resistance mutations among drug-naive, non-B subtype HIV-1-infected individuals in Cameroon. Follow-up studies should be conducted to assess whether these drug-resistant mutants found as minor populations might impact future ART.

Cite this paper

@article{Koizumi2006EmergenceOA, title={Emergence of antiretroviral therapy resistance-associated primary mutations among drug-naive HIV-1-infected individuals in rural western Cameroon.}, author={Yusuke Koizumi and Nicaise Ndembi and Michiko Miyashita and Raphael M. Lwembe and Seiji Kageyama and Dora Mbanya and Lazare Noche Kaptue and Kei Numazaki and Yoshihide Fujiyama and Hiroshi Ichimura}, journal={Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes}, year={2006}, volume={43 1}, pages={15-22} }