Divalent cation mobility throughout exponential growth and sporulation of Bacillus megaterium.

Abstract

Each of the five elements considered was taken up by Bacillus megaterium during exponential growth. Initial Mg and Mn uptake was rapid and ended by mid-log. For Ca, Fe, and Zn, uptake continued throughout exponential growth. Elements were released from the cells immediately following initial uptake. For Mn, egression continued to t2, with release of 36% of total accumulated. Secondary uptake followed immediately and continued through stage V. Magnesium egression continued to t1 with release of 33% accumulated. Secondary uptake began by t5 (stage IV) and continued slowly through sporulation. Calcium egression ceased by t4 with release of 25% total accumulated. Secondary uptake began by t6 (stage V) and continued until depleted. Zinc egression stopped by t5 with release of 34% accumulated with some secondary uptake by stage V. Iron egression terminated at t4 with release of 59% of total accumulated. This was followed by secondary uptake after t12 (stage VI).

Cite this paper

@article{Krueger1978DivalentCM, title={Divalent cation mobility throughout exponential growth and sporulation of Bacillus megaterium.}, author={William Krueger and B. J. Kolodziej}, journal={Microbios}, year={1978}, volume={18 73-74}, pages={159-67} }