Delayed cyanide poisoning following acetonitrile ingestion.

@article{Mller1997DelayedCP,
  title={Delayed cyanide poisoning following acetonitrile ingestion.},
  author={Marina M{\"u}ller and Colin D R Borland},
  journal={Postgraduate medical journal},
  year={1997},
  volume={73 859},
  pages={299-300}
}
Acetonitrile (methyl cyanide) is a common industrial organic solvent but is a rare cause of poisoning. We report the first recorded UK case. Acetonitrile is slowly converted to cyanide, resulting in delayed toxicity. We describe a case of deliberate self-poisoning by a 39-year-old woman resulting in cyanide poisoning 11 hours later which was successfully treated by repeated boluses of sodium nitrite and thiosulphate. The half-life of conversion of acetonitrile was 40 hours and harmful blood… CONTINUE READING
6 Citations
9 References
Similar Papers

References

Publications referenced by this paper.
Showing 1-9 of 9 references

Successful treatment of life - threatening proprionitrile exposure with sodium nitrite , sodium thiosulphate followed by hyperbaric oxygen

  • B Scoulnick, D Hamel, AD Wolf
  • Jf Occup Med
  • 1993

Similar Papers

Loading similar papers…