Corticorubral synaptic organization in Macaca fascicularis: a study utilizing degeneration, anterograde transport of WGA-HRP, and combined immuno-GABA-gold technique and computer-assisted reconstruction.


The macaque red nucleus receives afferents from two major sources, the cerebral cortex and the deep cerebellar nuclei. Approximately 90% of the corticorubral afferent axons project to pars parvicellularis of the red nucleus, the neurons of which transmit information to the cerebellum by way of the inferior olivary nucleus. The remaining 10% project to pars… (More)