Control of cytosolic free calcium in rat and chicken osteoclasts. The role of extracellular calcium and calcitonin.

@article{Malgaroli1989ControlOC,
  title={Control of cytosolic free calcium in rat and chicken osteoclasts. The role of extracellular calcium and calcitonin.},
  author={A Malgaroli and Jacopo Meldolesi and Alberta Zambonin Zallone and Anna Maria Teti},
  journal={The Journal of biological chemistry},
  year={1989},
  volume={264 24},
  pages={14342-7}
}
Single cell [Ca2+], studies were performed in chicken and rat osteoclasts loaded with fura-2 and exposed to a variety of treatments. Under resting conditions, basal [Ca2+]i, was 79.2 +/- 47.3 and 84.3 +/- 65.7 nM (averages +/- S.D.; n = 141 and 126) in the osteoclasts of the two species, respectively. Basal [Ca2+]i was stable in all rat and in approximately 80% of chicken osteoclasts. In the remaining 20%, spontaneous, irregular [Ca2+], fluctuations were observed (amplitude range: 50-200 nm… CONTINUE READING