Concealed umbilical stoma: long-term evaluation of stomal stenosis.

Abstract

PURPOSE The technique of forming a concealed umbilical stoma has been described previously and includes a posterior umbilical flap for improved cosmesis and stenosis prevention. We assessed long-term stomal stenosis. MATERIALS AND METHODS We reviewed retrospectively the charts of 46 patients (mean age at surgery 14 years) of whom 35 had undergone concealed umbilical stoma creation and 11 the Malone antegrade continence enema procedure for continent urinary diversion. Urinary stomas were created from appendix in 20 cases, ileum in 8, sigmoid colon in 5, bladder in 1 and stomach in 1. Malone antegrade continence enema stomas were constructed from appendix in 10 cases and sigmoid colon in 1. A total of 21 patients underwent urinary diversion and augmentation cystoplasty. RESULTS At followup of 12 to 84 months (median 3.4 years) 93.5% of patients had an intact stoma with no need for surgical revision. Of the remaining patients 3 (6.5%) required revision of the stoma at skin level for stomal stenosis at 1, 4 and 38 months after initial surgery and 2 had a brief period of indwelling catheterization for correction of stenosis. CONCLUSIONS The concealed umbilical stoma technique provides an excellent cosmetic result with a low rate of stomal stenosis in patients requiring intermittent bladder or bowel catheterization.

Statistics

05020072008200920102011201220132014201520162017
Citations per Year

57 Citations

Semantic Scholar estimates that this publication has 57 citations based on the available data.

See our FAQ for additional information.

Cite this paper

@article{Glassman2001ConcealedUS, title={Concealed umbilical stoma: long-term evaluation of stomal stenosis.}, author={Deborah T. Glassman and Steven G. Docimo}, journal={The Journal of urology}, year={2001}, volume={166 3}, pages={1028-30} }