Communication in ants

@article{Jackson2006CommunicationIA,
  title={Communication in ants},
  author={Duncan Jackson and Francis L. W. Ratnieks},
  journal={Current Biology},
  year={2006},
  volume={16},
  pages={R570-R574}
}

Figures from this paper

Organisation of foraging in ants

The role of trail pheromones and route memory in the ant Lasius niger is investigated, and a comprehensive review of cooperative transport in ants and elsewhere is provided.

The role of multiple pheromones in food recruitment by ants

It is suggested that the big headed ant Pheidole megacephala's opportunistic strategy of rapid food discovery and ability to react to changes in the environment may have strongly contributed to their dominance over native species.

Ants Can Learn to Forage on One-Way Trails

A method to stop foraging ants from shuttling on two-way trails is developed and it is suggested that the method can be adapted to other species, invertebrate and vertebrate, in the study of orientation, memory, perception, learning and communication.

Detection of Pheromone Laying Event in Foraging Data of Harvester Ants Using Change Point Analysis Method

Simulating ants observe that simulated ants use pheromone more when the food sources are clumped, and they rediscover the pile more frequently if the food source is large, and that ants may repeatedly lose track of found piles and then re-find the pile.

Spatial cognition in the context of foraging styles and information transfer in ants

It is suggested that the leader-scouting style of recruitment is closely connected with the ecological niche of a defined group of species, in particular, their searching patterns within the tree crown.

Social Information Use in Foraging Insects

In 1880, the Victorian naturalist Sir John Lubbock became aware that ants can track their nestmates to rewarding food sources. Lubbock believed that ants were following scent trails, and even went as

7 Social Information Use in Foraging Insects

In 1880, the Victorian naturalist Sir John Lubbock became aware that ants can track their nestmates to rewarding food sources. Lubbock believed that ants were following scent trails, and even went as

Tandem carrying, a new foraging strategy in ants: description, function, and adaptive significance relative to other described foraging strategies

A new type of foraging strategy, “tandem carrying”, which is also one of the most simple recruitment strategies, observed in the Ponerinae species Pachycondyla chinensis, and it is demonstrated that this recruitment is context dependent and based on the type of food discovered and can be quickly adjusted as food quality changes.

Decentralized communication, trail connectivity and emergent benefits of ant pheromone trail networks

This study produces an agent-based model of a heterogeneous ant community where 7% of agents were specialised frequent U-turners whilst the remaining 93% rarely U-turned and showed that heterogeneous colonies enjoyed significantly greater success at foraging for distant food resources compared to behaviourally homogeneous colonies.
...

References

SHOWING 1-8 OF 8 REFERENCES

Coordination of Raiding and Emigration in the Ponerine Army Ant Leptogenys distinguenda (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Ponerinae): A Signal Analysis

The importance of trail pheromone communication for the coordination of raids and emigrations in the ponerine army ant Leptogenys distinguenda was examined, and its ecological function is discussed.

The principles of collective animal behaviour

  • D. Sumpter
  • Biology
    Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
  • 2005
It is argued that the key to understanding collective behaviour lies in identifying the principles of the behavioural algorithms followed by individual animals and of how information flows between the animals.

Ants.

According to the Virginia Pesticide Control Act, in order to apply ANY pesticide in public areas of ANY educational institution, the applicator must first be certified by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Coordination of raiding and emigration in the ponerine army ant Leptogenys distinguenda : a signal analysis

  • J . Insect Behav .
  • 2002

Department of Animal and Plant Sciences

  • Department of Animal and Plant Sciences