Corpus ID: 212452999

Cognition and Memory Impairment Among Patients of Epilepsy in Pakistan-The Role of Conventional and Newer Anti-Epileptics

@inproceedings{Malik2019CognitionAM,
  title={Cognition and Memory Impairment Among Patients of Epilepsy in Pakistan-The Role of Conventional and Newer Anti-Epileptics},
  author={Madeeha Malik and Azhar Hussain and Sehrish Malik and Ayisha Hashmi},
  year={2019}
}
Epilepsy could be complex due to other neurological co morbidities including cognitive impairment, psychiatric disorders like anxiety and depression and social problems. These co-morbidities arise because of recurrent seizures, medication adverse effects and adverse social reaction towards epilepsy i.e. stigma [1]. With the advancements in the field of medicine, there has been increasing interest in the optimization of medication therapy that requires careful selection of appropriate drug, with… Expand

Tables from this paper

Cognition and Memory Impairment Among Patients of Epilepsy in Pakistan-The Role of Conventional and Newer Anti-Epileptics
Epilepsy could be complex due to other neurological co morbidities including cognitive impairment, psychiatric disorders like anxiety and depression and social problems. These co-morbidities ariseExpand

References

SHOWING 1-10 OF 26 REFERENCES
Cognitive side effects of anti-epileptic drugs The relevance in childhood epilepsy
TLDR
The available data indicate that the newer anti-epileptic drugs have a safe cognitive profile when prescribed correctly at the right dose and in monotherapy. Expand
Levetiracetam: A Practical Option for Seizure Management in Elderly Patients With Cognitive Impairment
TLDR
Cognitive impairment and seizures are common in elderly individuals with cognitive impairment and anticonvulsant treatment is problematic due to sedation, cognitive slowing, and behavioral changes; levetiracetam has favorable pharmacokinetics, good efficacy, and a favorable side effect profile. Expand
Chronic epilepsy and cognition
TLDR
Cognitive recovery in the adult brain after successful surgery indicates functional compensation and, to some degree, functional reorganisation or a reactivation of functions previously suppressed by influence from distant but connected epileptogenic areas. Expand
Cognitive and behavioral effects of antiepileptic drugs
TLDR
For optimal treatment of epilepsy, one must achieve a balance between adequate seizure control and minimizing the potential side effects of the employed AEDs, which requires knowledge of the specific cognitive and behavioral effects of both established newer Aeds and an understanding of the general principles governing their delivery. Expand
Clinical efficacy and cognitive and neuropsychological effects of levetiracetam in epilepsy: An open-label multicenter study
TLDR
The results demonstrate that LEV not only effectively reduces seizure frequency, but also possibly contributes to improvements in neuropsychological functions such as recall, language, interpersonal sensitivity, and paranoid ideation. Expand
Levetiracetam: An improvement of attention and of oral fluency in patients with partial epilepsy
TLDR
A statistically significant improvement in cognitive functioning is found in patients receiving LEV compared to the controls, and it is reasonable to assume that LEV may influence the metabolism of attention and of language area, as already suggested for piracetam (PIR) from which LEV derives. Expand
Epilepsy and Cognition
Many patients with epilepsy have some degree of cognitive impairment. The likelihood is increased for patients diagnosed with epilepsy during childhood. Active childhood epilepsy is associated withExpand
The Use of Antiepileptic Drugs—Principles and Practice
Summary:  Up to 70% of people developing epilepsy may expect to become seizure free with optimum antiepileptic drug (AED) therapy. The remaining 30% are the most difficult to treat. Most patients areExpand
Absence of Negative Impact of Levetiracetam on Cognitive Function and Memory in Normal and Amygdala-Kindled Rats
TLDR
The results indicate that doses of LEV known to suppress motor seizures did not alter cognitive performance and suggest that LEV may be devoid of negative impact on cognition in epileptic patients. Expand
Complaints associated with the use of antiepileptic drugs: results from a community-based study
TLDR
There is a need to improve monitoring of complaints of side effects of AEDs and to explore the feasibility of interventions aimed at reduction of such complaints in everyday clinical practice. Expand
...
1
2
3
...