[Clinical features of non-allergic rhinitis and the therapeutic efficacy of combination of intranasal steroid and H1-antihistamine].

Abstract

OBJECTIVE To investigate the basic clinical features of non-allergic rhinitis (NAR) in age, sex, incentives, and the effect of treatment with combined intranasal steroids and antihistamines. METHODS One hundred consecutive NAR patients were included in this study and the age, gender, predisposing factors and clinical symptoms were analyzed. Combined intranasal steroids and antihistamines used for 8 weeks, the symptoms were recorded before and after treatment with visual analogue scale(VAS) score as the assessment of treatment effects. SPSS 17.0 software was used to analyze the data. RESULTS Ninety-three NAR patients were adults, and the sex ratio was 1:1.2 (male:female), and the peak age incidence was between 30 - 39 years old. The main nasal symptoms were sneezing (96 cases), rhinorrhea (88 cases), nasal blockage (72 cases) and nasal itching (69 cases). The symptoms of eye and respiratory tract were always accompanied as eye itching (49 cases), tears (32 cases), congestion (22 cases), swelling (13 cases), cough (21 cases), suffocation (19 cases), chest compression (13 cases), wheezing (10 cases); Seventy-nine (79.0%) patients could indicate at least one kind of incentives, the temperature change (54 cases), dust (28 cases), irritating odor (21 cases) was the main incentive of NAR. Forty-seven patients completed the combined treatment of intranasal steroids and antihistamines, 38 (80.9%) patients were satisfied with the result with all symptoms relieved except wheezing (P < 0.05), but 36 patients had the NAR returned when they were exposed with the predisposing factors in the coming year; the remaining 9 (19.1%) patients failed the treatment. CONCLUSIONS The clinical features of NAR were as follows: adult constituted the main patient population, women were slightly more than man but with no difference between genders; sneezing and nasal discharge were the main clinical symptoms, always more than 1 incentives. The combination of intranasal steroids and antihistamines could control the most of clinical symptoms.

Cite this paper

@article{Li2011ClinicalFO, title={[Clinical features of non-allergic rhinitis and the therapeutic efficacy of combination of intranasal steroid and H1-antihistamine].}, author={Lin Li and Li-feng An and Cuida Meng and Xue-wei Zhu and Zhen Dong and Dongdong Zhu}, journal={Zhonghua er bi yan hou tou jing wai ke za zhi = Chinese journal of otorhinolaryngology head and neck surgery}, year={2011}, volume={46 5}, pages={397-401} }