Corpus ID: 142294274

Britain's Gulag: The Brutal End of Empire in Kenya

  title={Britain's Gulag: The Brutal End of Empire in Kenya},
  author={A. Clare Brandabur},
  journal={The Journal of Pan-African Studies},
  • A. C. Brandabur
  • Published 1 November 2007
  • Sociology
  • The Journal of Pan-African Studies
Caroline Elkins, Britain's Gulag: The Brutal End of Empire in Kenya. London: Jonathan Cape. 2005. pp. xiv, 475. Caroline Elkins, now Assistant Professor at Harvard University, spent ten years researching the real history of the Mau Mau insurgency in Kenya and the systematic brutality with which the British colonial bureaucracy put it down. Had her work been less thorough, had she been content with the surface of the story which initially emerged from the highly censored records, her report… Expand
Mau Mau in the High Court and the ‘Lost’ British Empire Archives: Colonial Conspiracy or Bureaucratic Bungle?
In April 2011, a landmark hearing before the High Court in London found that the British government had a case to answer concerning abuse and torture allegedly carried out by British officials inExpand
Jomo Kenyatta and the repression of the ‘last’ Mau Mau leaders, 1961–1965
ABSTRACT Around the time of independence (1961–1965), Kenya’s African nationalist government organized the continued repression of the remaining Mau Mau fighters who had refused to surrender afterExpand
The unburied victims of Kenya’s Mau Mau Rebellion: Where and when does the violence end?
All over central Kenya, the bones are coming up. Travelling around the countryside of the Kikuyuspeaking areas of these intensely farmed and closely settled fertile highlands, there are strangeExpand
Transformative Invasions: Western Post-9/11 Counterinsurgency and the Lessons of Colonialism
The shooting side of the business is only 25 percent of the trouble and the other 75 percent lies in getting the people of this country behind us.- British General Gerald Templer, Malaya, 1952'HavingExpand
Myths of Mau Mau expanded: rehabilitation in Kenya's detention camps, 1954–60
Abstract In response to the Mau Mau rebellion that gripped Kenya in the 1950s, the British colonial government created a network of detention camps across the country that imprisoned a significantExpand
Footprints in the Sand: British Colonial Counterinsurgency and the War in Iraq
Recent attempts to revive counterinsurgency strategies for use in Afghanistan and Iraq have been marked by a determination to learn lessons from history. Using the case of the campaign against theExpand
‘Splendidly Leading the Way’? Archbishop Fisher and Decolonisation in British Colonial Africa
As Archbishop of Canterbury from 1945 to 1961, Geoffrey Fisher devoted considerable time to colonial and imperial affairs, including in British Africa. This involvement took a variety of forms, butExpand
Contextualising Apartheid at the End of Empire: Repression, ‘Development’ and the Bantustans
  • Laura Evans
  • Political Science
  • The Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History
  • 2019
ABSTRACT This article examines the global dynamics of late colonialism and how these informed South African apartheid. More specifically, it locates the programmes of mass relocation and bantustanExpand
Repression and Rebellion: Britain's Response to the Arab Revolt in Palestine of 1936–39
In April 1936 growing unrest among the Arab community of Palestine led to the outbreak of a sustained revolt that would pose the most serious threat to British rule thus far experienced by theExpand
Introduction From Populism to Decolonisation: How We Remember in the Twenty-First Century
This article introduces, and contextualises, the contributions to the collection The global crisis in memory. Since the 1980s, the idea of ‘coming to terms with the past’, shaped by the values ofExpand