Biochemical and genetic studies with arginine and proline auxotrophs of Neisseria gonorrhoeae.

@article{Picard1989BiochemicalAG,
  title={Biochemical and genetic studies with arginine and proline auxotrophs of Neisseria gonorrhoeae.},
  author={Francois J. Picard and Jo-Anne R Dillon},
  journal={Canadian journal of microbiology},
  year={1989},
  volume={35 12},
  pages={1069-75}
}
The prevalence of specific arginine biosynthesis gene defects was studied for 319 arginine-requiring clinical isolates of Neisseria gonorrhoeae by using the ability of the strains to utilize intermediates of arginine biosynthesis. Only 11% of the uracil-requiring strains defective in the carbamylation of ornithine to yield citrulline had a defective carbamoylphosphate synthetase gene (carAB). Strains defective in carAB were of auxotype CUH. The other strains (89%) having a dual requirement for… CONTINUE READING