[Bilateral carcinoma of the breast].

Abstract

From 1990 to 1996, a total of 223 patients, with breast cancer, were treated. Out of these patients, 7 (3.04%) developed a second primary carcinoma in the controlateral breast. Two (28.5%) had a synchronous manifestation while the remaining 5 (71.5%) had a metachronous manifestation. The seven patients were followed up for periods between 4-8 years: 80% of the metachronous tumours occur within 5 years of follow-up. The 7-year actuarial survival was 100% in the two synchronous tumours and 60% in the five metachronous tumours (two patients died on account of intervening diseases). The prognosis does not depend on the length of the interval between the development of the two carcinomas but it is in relation with the anatomo-clinical state, to the adequate treatment of each primary tumour and to the rigorous clinical-instrumental follow-up, in which the mammography plays a fundamental role.

Cite this paper

@article{Cucinotta1997BilateralCO, title={[Bilateral carcinoma of the breast].}, author={Eugenio Cucinotta and Letterio Calbo and Renato Palmeri and Francesca Pia Pergolizzi and Giuseppinella Melita}, journal={Chirurgia italiana}, year={1997}, volume={49 1-2}, pages={9-14} }