Acute Hepatic Failure in a Dog after Xylitol Ingestion

@article{Schmid2015AcuteHF,
  title={Acute Hepatic Failure in a Dog after Xylitol Ingestion},
  author={Renee D. Schmid and Lynn Rolland Hovda},
  journal={Journal of Medical Toxicology},
  year={2015},
  volume={12},
  pages={201-205}
}
Xylitol is a five-carbon sugar alcohol produced from natural resources frequently used as a sugar substitute for humans. We report the development and successful treatment of acute hepatic failure and coagulopathy in a dog after xylitol ingestion. A 9-year-old 4.95 kg (10.9 lb) neutered male Chihuahua was evaluated at a veterinary clinic for vomiting after ingesting 224 g (45 g/kg, 20.5 g/lb) of granulated xylitol. Hypoglycemia developed within 1–2 h, elevated liver values, suggesting the… CONTINUE READING
2
Twitter Mentions

References

Publications referenced by this paper.
SHOWING 1-10 OF 12 REFERENCES

Acute hepatic failure and coagulopathy associated with xylitol ingestion in eight dogs.

  • Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
  • 2006
VIEW 6 EXCERPTS
HIGHLY INFLUENTIAL

Experimental acute toxicity of xylitol in dogs.

  • Journal of veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics
  • 2009
VIEW 1 EXCERPT