Accidental poisoning with Veratrum album mistaken for wild garlic (Allium ursinum)

@article{Gilotta2010AccidentalPW,
  title={Accidental poisoning with Veratrum album mistaken for wild garlic (Allium ursinum)},
  author={I. Gilotta and Miran Brvar},
  journal={Clinical Toxicology},
  year={2010},
  volume={48},
  pages={949 - 952}
}
Introduction. Veratrum album (white or false hellebore) is a poisonous plant containing steroidal alkaloids that cause nausea, vomiting, headache, visual disturbances, paresthesia, dizziness, bradycardia, atrioventricular block, hypotension, and syncope. It is regularly mistaken for Gentiana lutea (yellow gentian). We report accidental poisoning with V. album mistaken for Allium ursinum (wild garlic), a wild plant used in soups and salads in Central Europe. Case series. Four adults (24–45 years… 

Hikers poisoned: Veratrum steroidal alkaloid toxicity following ingestion of foraged Veratrum parviflorum

A case of accidental poisoning from Veratrum parviflorum mistaken for the edible Allium tricoccum (ramps, wild leek) is presented, with symptoms similar to previous case reports of toxicity with other Veratrums species.

Veratrum Alkaloid Determination in Four Cases of Veratrum Aqua Poisonings.

Since none of the patients confirmed VA intake, instrumental analysis was the basis for the definitive diagnosis of VA poisoning, and a novel validated LC-MS/MS method for jervine and proA quantification is described.

Veratrum parviflorum poisoning: identification of steroidal alkaloids in patient blood and breast milk.

It is demonstrated that more lipophilic Veratrum alkaloids can be passed along in breast milk, which suggests additional precautions may be critical to limit further poisonings.

Plants that can be Poisonous for Cows. A Review

Romania is blessed with a rich spontaneous flora, but some of the plants are toxic by their consumption in cattle, affecting the health, productions and endangering consumer safety. Sometimes even

Analysis of toxic Veratrum alkaloids in plant samples from an accidental poisoning case

The composition of Veratrums alkaloids of the poisoning sample and that of the young Veratrum sprout samples of two other colonies were very similar, and had not changed largely over the years when they were young sprouts, showing that all the young sprout species are dangerous to eat.

Species identification of white false hellebore (Veratrum album subsp. oxysepalum) by loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)

The present LAMP assay is a highly sensitive, rapid, and specific method for identifying V. album and V. stamineum, and could be effectively assessed with the naked eye.

Mistaken identity: Severe vomiting, bradycardia and hypotension after eating a wild herb

A 53-year-old woman presented with severe vomiting 3.5 hours after eating a boiled wild herb thought to be Hosta montana, which was correctly identified when the patient's husband brought in the herb for identification.

[Chemical-toxicological diagnosis of hellebore (veratrum) poisoning].

It was shown that for the identification of hellebore alkaloids, it is advisable to use HPLC-MS/MS as the most sensitive and specific instrumental method corresponding to the characteristics of helaloids (high molecular weight, high thermal lability, high polarity).

Review: Veratrum californicum Alkaloids

This review surveys literature precedents for extraction methods, isolation, identification, characterization and bioactivity to guide natural product drug discovery associated with this medicinal plant.

References

SHOWING 1-10 OF 20 REFERENCES

Dietary poisoning with Veratrum album – A report of two cases

Retrospective investigation of the gentian beverage confirmed that V. album was mistaken for G. lutea, a poisonous plant that can easily be mistaken for the yellow gentian, Gentiana luteA, used in beverages.

Low-dose exposure to Veratrum album in children causes mild effects – a case series

Veratrum album intoxication in children demonstrated the same clinical course as observed in adults, and accidental ingestion of a low dose of the plant had a favorable outcome with supportive care.

Case report: fatal poisoning with Colchicum autumnale

A 76-year-old man with a history of alcoholic liver disease and renal insufficiency, who mistakenly ingested Colchicum autumnale instead of wild garlic, presented with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea 12 hours after ingestion and died due to asystolic cardiac arrest.

Acute poisoning with autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale L.)

Colchicine poisoning can result in gastroenterocolitis followed by multi-organ dysfunction syndrome after ingestion of wild plants as a salad or spice, especially when wild garlic is mentioned, and should always consider autumn crocus.

[Acute dietary poisoning by white hellebore (Veratrum album L.). Clinical and analytical data. A propos of 5 cases].

Five cases of acute accidental poisoning with White Hellebore are reported, several minutes after the ingestion of home-made gentian wine, and symptoms suggested poisoning with a veratrum alkaloid.

Accidental intoxication with Veratrum album.

The patient completely recovered from the symptoms within 24 h and was discharged from the hospital and the analytical method described was developed for the simultaneous identification and quantitation of five Veratrum alkaloids.

Poisoning due to ingestion of Veratrum viride (false hellebore).

Veratrum Poisoning

Following the ingestion of Veratrum alkaloids, expected signs and symptoms include vomiting and abdominal pain, followed by cardiovascular effects such as bradycardia, hypotension and cardiac conduction abnormalities and death, however, with prompt supportive care, patients typically make a full recovery within 24 hours.

[A case of Veratrum poisoning].

A poisoning from a Veratrum album infusion mistaken for Gentiana lutea is described, involving gastrointestinal and cardiocirculatory systems and Atropine is the drug of choice.

LC-EI-MS determination of veratridine and cevadine in two fatal cases of Veratrum album poisoning.