A new specific ageusia: some humans cannot taste L-glutamate.

@article{Lugaz2002ANS,
  title={A new specific ageusia: some humans cannot taste L-glutamate.},
  author={O Lugaz and A M Pillias and Annick Faurion},
  journal={Chemical senses},
  year={2002},
  volume={27 2},
  pages={105-15}
}
A new specific ageusia was found in human subjects for monosodium L-glutamate (MSG). Four tests were successively applied to discriminate non-tasters and hypotasters from tasters. (i) NaCl and MSG thresholds, and (ii) suprathreshold sensitivity were evaluated using the up-and-down procedure. Only 73% of 109 subjects common to both tests demonstrated a sensitivity for MSG significantly higher than their sensitivity to NaCl, and hence a specific sensitivity to L-glutamate. The remaining 27% who… CONTINUE READING

From This Paper

Figures, tables, results, connections, and topics extracted from this paper.
32 Extracted Citations
47 Extracted References
Similar Papers

Citing Papers

Publications influenced by this paper.
Showing 1-10 of 32 extracted citations

Referenced Papers

Publications referenced by this paper.
Showing 1-10 of 47 references

The use and utility of glutamates as flavoring agents in food

  • S. Yamaguchi, K. Ninomiya
  • J. Nutr.,
  • 2000
Highly Influential
4 Excerpts

Similar Papers

Loading similar papers…