A Medico-Legal Question

  • Æsculapius
  • Published 2016 in The Indian medical gazette


Sir,?Among the injuries described under " Grievous Hurt," vide section 320, I. P. C., a fracture or a dislocation of a tooth is mentioned as one, and I am constrained to ask, through the medium of your esteemed journal, for a clear definition of what is termed " A dislocation of a tooth." Unlike other joints in the human system, where luxation and subluxation generally take place, a tooth is always firmly placed in its socket; and a blow on the face or lip, according to its severity, either renders it loose or it falls out entirely from its socket. Now the question to which I seek an answer is simply this : Can a mere shaking of a tooth from its socket be called a dislocation, or to constitute a dislocation ? Should a tooth entirely fall out from its socket? It cannot be the latter, because a fallen tooth cannot be replaced or reduced as other dislocated bones that form a moveable joint; and if the shaking of a tooth caused by external violence cannot be called a dislocation iu the sense of the Indian Penal Code, then the term " Dislocation of a tooth" is, I should think, a misnomer.

Cite this paper

@inproceedings{sculapius2016AMQ, title={A Medico-Legal Question}, author={{\aE}sculapius}, booktitle={The Indian medical gazette}, year={2016} }