• Corpus ID: 37988936

7 Visible Light and UV Radiation

@inproceedings{Moan20047VL,
  title={7 Visible Light and UV Radiation},
  author={Johan Emelian Moan},
  year={2004}
}
  • J. Moan
  • Published 2004
  • Environmental Science
The sun is the most important source of visible and ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Even though the distance from the sun to the Earth is large – about 150×10 km – the fluence rate of solar radiation on Earth, the solar constant, is about 1 360 W/m 2 . Approximately 40% of this radiation is reflected back into space. The remaining 60% is the driving force of all life on Earth. A number of pigments have been developed by life to harvest solar energy: chlorophyll a (350-700 nm), phycoerythrin (45-580… 
Transport of Solar Radiation through the Atmosphere : Aspects Relevant for Health
The spectral distribution of the solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface depends on the irradiance emitted by the Sun, the Earth-Sun distance, and the transmission properties of the atmosphere.
UV-A radiation effects on higher plants: Exploring the known unknown.
Inactivation of Campylobacter jejuni by exposure to high-intensity 405-nm visible light.
TLDR
It is established that C. jejuni is particularly susceptible to violet/blue light at a wavelength of 405 nm, and this finding, coupled with the safety-in-use advantages of this visible (non-ultraviolet wavelength) light, suggests that high-intensity 405-nm light may have applications for control of C.Jejuni contamination levels in situations where this type of illumination can be effectively applied.
Growth and Contents of Anthocyanins and Ascorbic Acid in Lettuce as Affected by Supplemental UV-A LED Irradiation with Different Light Quality and hotoperiod
TLDR
It was concluded that growth and contents of anthocyanins and ascorbic acid in lettuce are significantly affected by supplemental UV-A LED irradiation.
Towards the Development of Efficient Materials for Solar Fuel Production
Damas, G. B. 2020. Atomic Scale Modelling in Photoelectrocatalysis. Towards the Development of Efficient Materials for Solar Fuel Production. Digital Comprehensive Summaries of Uppsala Dissertations
In vivo photoacoustic oxygen saturation imaging without the need for fluence estimation
TLDR
Preliminary results suggest that the presented method can effectively determine local oxygen saturation in vivo and at depth.
Stimulating brain tissue with bright light alters functional connectivity in brain at the resting state
TLDR
Functional connectivity changes of the brain were studied in the resting state with functional magnetic resonance imaging during bright light stimulus via the ear canal and plausible photoreceptor candidates suggest that the brain possesses photosensitive properties, which will have interesting implications for the modulation of brain function and understanding the basic physiology of thebrain.
Influenza, solar radiation and vitamin D
TLDR
The data support the hypothesis that a high vitamin D level, as that found in the summer, acts in a protective manner with respect to influenza as well as pneumonia, and are compared with data from tropical and subtropical areas.
Vitamin D
TLDR
This review explores how vitamin D interacts with light in a broader perspective than simple skin photosynthesis, and examines how the vitamin influences circadian rhythm, and how it may have helped drive the evolution of skin pigmentation.
...
...

References

ACTION SPECTRUM FOR ERYTHEMA IN HUMANS INVESTIGATED WITH DYE LASERS
Abstract— Erythema reactions of human skin were reevaluated with improved experimental methods: a tunable, highly monochromatic irradiation source as well as an instrumental measurement of skin