[Accidental ingestion of a battery].

@article{Steib1984AccidentalIO,
  title={[Accidental ingestion of a battery].},
  author={Annick Steib and Felicitas Steiner and Ahmad Khidhayir Abbass and Françoise Flesch},
  journal={Annales francaises d'anesthesie et de reanimation},
  year={1984},
  volume={3 5},
  pages={
          385-7
        }
}
A case of accidental battery ingestion by a three-year old boy is reported. The possible complications are local (i.e. necrosis of tissues by leakage of the alkaline electrolyte, by electrical injury or by impaction of the battery) and general (mercury poisoning). Large diameter batteries impacted in the oesophagus need prompt removal. When the battery is located in the stomach, two attitudes are discussed: some authors allow it to progress through the gastrointestinal tract spontaneously under… CONTINUE READING