William R Henning

Learn More
Beef from retail and foodservice establishments in 11 US cities was evaluated using Warner-Bratzler shear (WBS) and consumer evaluation panels. Postmortem aging times ranged from 3 to 83d for retail and 7 to 136d for foodservice with mean aging times of 22.6d and 30.1d, respectively. For retail, the three cuts from the round - top round, bottom round, and(More)
Fifty-six retail stores representing 15 retail chains and 14 foodservice facilities in eight U.S. cities were sampled to determine the tenderness of beef steaks at retail and foodservice levels based on Warner-Bratzler shear (WBS) values and consumer evaluation panels. Retail consumer panels were conducted at five universities. Each retail and foodservice(More)
This experiment determined meat composition and palatability changes resulting from feeding Holstein (HOL) and crossbred beef (XB) steers diets containing corn silage (CS) or alfalfa haylage (AH) (forage type) and soybean meal (SM) or fish meal (FM) (protein source). Fifty-nine steers (30 HOL and 29 XB) were randomly assigned to diet combinations for a 2 x(More)
Fifty-eight Holstein and 58 crossbred beef steers were individually fed one of four isonitrogenous diets to evaluate the effects of forage source (corn silage and alfalfa haylage) and protein source (soybean meal and fish meal) on feedlot performance. Phase 1 diets (up to 354 kg of BW) were 40% forage and 60% concentrates and were fed for 70 to 136 d(More)
Water washing with a handheld hose was performed on beef surfaces to ascertain the most effective combination of methods needed to remove potentially harmful microorganisms. For these experiments, beef brisket surfaces were experimentally inoculated with a fecal slurry containing Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella Typhimurium, Campylobacter coli, and(More)
Because veal lean color continues to be a primary factor that determines veal carcass value and is typically assessed by subjective means, it is important to explore objective methods for color assessment. Objective and subjective evaluations of veal flank and breast lean color were compared as predictors of longissimus lean color at 24 h postmortem. One(More)
Carcass traits have been successfully used to determine body composition of steers. Body composition, in turn, has been used to predict energy content of ADG to compute feed requirements of individual animals fed in groups. This information is used in the Cornell value discovery system (CVDS) to predict DM required (DMR) for the observed animal performance.(More)
This survey consisted of data collected from 23 beef harvest plants to document transportation procedures, management practices, and health assessments of market beef and dairy cows and bulls (about n ≅ 7,000 animals). Gooseneck/bumper-pulled trailers were used more often to transport dairy cattle than beef cattle to market whereas tractor-trailers were(More)
Growth and carcass characteristics were measured on 975 Holstein bull calves raised on four commercial veal farms (nine feeding groups). Average values for blood hemoglobin (Hb), live weight and gain, dressing percentage (DP; hide-on and hide-off), visual muscle color score, rib-eye-area (REA), and carcass conformation score were 7.8 g/dl, 187.1 kg, 1.46(More)
Preblending A- and C-maturity muscles with MgCl(2) and/or CaCl(2) was investigated in low-fat, low-sodium restructured beef. Products were formulated to contain: 1) 80% chunks, preblended 12h with 0.05% MgCl(2), 0.05% CaCl(2), or a combination of each (0.1%) and 0.4% sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP) and 2) 20% mince preblended 12h with 0.05% of each(More)