Supasak Kulawonganunchai

Learn More
Asia harbors substantial cultural and linguistic diversity, but the geographic structure of genetic variation across the continent remains enigmatic. Here we report a large-scale survey of autosomal variation from a broad geographic sample of Asian human populations. Our results show that genetic ancestry is strongly correlated with linguistic affiliations(More)
Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) are the most commonly studied units of genetic variation. The discovery of such variation may help to identify causative gene mutations in monogenic diseases and SNPs associated with predisposing genes in complex diseases. Accurate detection of SNPs requires software that can correctly interpret chromatogram signals to(More)
Genome-wide association studies (GWAS) do not provide a full account of the heritability of genetic diseases since gene-gene interactions, also known as epistasis are not considered in single locus GWAS. To address this problem, a considerable number of methods have been developed for identifying disease-associated gene-gene interactions. However, these(More)
CONTEXT Pituitary blastoma causing Cushing's syndrome in infancy is very rare, and its molecular pathomechanism is not well understood. OBJECTIVE Our objective was to identify genetic changes of a pituitary blastoma causing infantile-onset Cushing's syndrome in a Thai girl without a family history of cancers. METHODS Genomic DNA from both leukocytes and(More)
Congenital heart defects (CHD) occur in 40% of patients with trisomy 21, while the other 60% have a structurally normal heart. This suggests that the increased dosage of genes on chromosome 21 is a risk factor for abnormal heart development. Interaction of genes on chromosome 21 or their gene products with certain alleles of genes on other chromosomes could(More)
Identification of suitable biomarkers for accurate prediction of phenotypic outcomes is a goal for personalized medicine. However, current machine learning approaches are either too complex or perform poorly. Here, a novel two-step machine-learning framework is presented to address this need. First, a Naïve Bayes estimator is used to rank features from(More)
The Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing family is often associated with multidrug resistance and large outbreaks. Conventional genotyping study of a community outbreak of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) that occurred in Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand was carried out. The study revealed that the outbreak was clonal and the strain was identified as(More)
Mutations in genes involved in drug metabolism have been well-associated with drug resistance. Sequence analysis of known antimycobacterial drug-resistant genes is often used to predict resistance to antibiotics. However, some polymorphisms in such genes may serve a phylogenetic purpose rather than resistance to drugs. The Beijing family of Mycobacterium(More)
We present the draft genome sequence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strain 43-16836, belonging to the Indo-Oceanic lineage, isolated from a tuberculous meningitis patient in Thailand. The genome is 4,381,942 bp long with 4,316 protein-coding genes and contains new single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), including SNPs of genes that may encode cell wall(More)
BACKGROUND The current first line drugs for treating uncomplicated malaria are artemisinin (ART) combination therapies. However, Plasmodium falciparum parasites resistant to ART and partner drugs are spreading, which threatens malaria control efforts. Rodent malaria species are useful models for understanding antimalarial resistance, in particular genetic(More)