Stephanie Donegan

Learn More
In a sample of 20 non-patients, 60% of the subjects had an absence of subjective temporomandibular joint (TMJ) complaints (noises/sounds) that agreed with objective joint vibration analyses (electrovibratography). Among the remaining 40% of subjects, only 50% of the examined joints showed agreement between subjective and objective findings. Subjects(More)
Our previous research suggests an association between a low number of teeth and increased risk of dementia. The aim of the present study was to determine if a low number of teeth is specifically related to memory decline as evidenced by low Delayed Word Recall scores. In addition, we examined the combined effect of a low number of teeth and the(More)
The maxillary and mandibular casts of 45 healthy and dentulous subjects, with conspicuous wear facets on canines and molars, were mounted on a semiadjustable articulator. The sagittal condylar guidance was determined by two methods: (1) using a protrusion wax interocclusal record and (2) by matching the wear facets of opposing canines and contralateral(More)
The accuracy of 12 impression materials of six different types were studied by using complete-arch FPD impressions. Sixty impressions were made of a Columbia dentoform maxillary model with complete cast crown abutment preparations on the canines and the second molars. A one-piece casting was constructed by connecting the four individual castings made for(More)
As induced by an occlusal splint over a period of 1 week, this study monitored surface electromyographic changes in the postural contractile activities of jaw elevator and depressor muscles in six healthy adults. The immediate effect of the occlusal splint was to increase the postural contractile activities of the suprahyoid muscles. All postural muscle(More)
Surface electromyograms from the right and left masseter and anterior temporalis muscles were used to detect peripheral correlates of deprogramming, also known as programming and reprogramming, of jaw elevator muscles. Putative deprogramming was attempted through the clinically recommended use of a leaf gauge, placed for 15 min between the maxillary and(More)
Experimental subjects (n = 29) were patients who had undergone orthodontic treatment in combination with extraction of maxillary or mandibular premolar teeth, or both. Control subjects (n = 29) were healthy dental students with no orthodontic or extraction experience. Sagittal (corrected axis) tomograms of the TMJs were used to determine the narrowest(More)
In 46 non-patients and 46 patients, the authors examined the presence (+) and the absence (-) of laterotrusive (LG) and mediotrusive (MG) tooth guidance, i.e. dynamic dental articulation events in contrast to static dental occlusion events. During a right and left laterotrusion/mediotrusion of the mandible, the number of compound, mutually exclusive and(More)
Without artificial feedback control, maximum voluntary isometric contractions were performed for about 1 s by six subjects. Randomly selected surface electromyograms of the anterior temporalis and masseter muscles suggested that, in some cases, the motor control of the entire isometric contraction might have been preprogrammed through the phenomenon of(More)
PURPOSE This study focuses on the curvature and inclination of the lingual surfaces of the maxillary anterior teeth from the transition point on the cingulum to the incisal edge. MATERIALS AND METHODS On 32 sets of mounted casts, 768 measurements were made of the curvature of the lingual surfaces utilizing radius gauges. The inclination of the lingual(More)