Learn More
Apolipoprotein E-deficient mice, since their introduction in the early 1990s, have proved to be a very popular model for studying spontaneous hypercholesterolemia and the subsequent development of atherosclerotic lesions. The pathogenesis of atherosclerotic lesions in these mice mimics that found in humans on a very short time-scale. Atherosclerotic lesion(More)
The goal of the present study was to elucidate mechanisms for angiotensin II (Ang II) induction of oxidized low density lipoprotein (Ox-LDL) uptake by macrophages, the hallmark of early atherosclerosis. Compared with placebo treatment, Ang II injections (0.1 mL, 10(-7) mol/L per day) for 2 weeks to apolipoprotein E-deficient mice significantly increased(More)
OBJECTIVE Clinical trials of vitamin E have failed to demonstrate a decrease in cardiovascular events. However, these studies did not address possible benefit to subgroups with increased oxidative stress. Haptoglobin (Hp), a major antioxidant protein, is a determinant of cardiovascular events in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). The Hp gene is(More)
Forty-three patients in the acute phase of myocardial infarction who were resistant to conventional doses of lidocaine received Ajmaline intravenously (50 mg bolus followed by constant infusion rate of 1-1.5 mg/min). Dangerous ventricular arrhythmias were abolished in 72% of this group of patients (group A). In the remaining patients (28%), Ajmaline was(More)
Increased incidence of myocardial infarction was found in hypertensive patients with high plasma renin activity and increased susceptibility to oxidation was demonstrated in low density lipoprotein (LDL) that was obtained from hypertensive patients. As lipid peroxidation was demonstrated in areas of the atherosclerotic lesion, we sought to analyze the(More)
A longitudinal observational study investigated whether the measurement, in clinical practice, of carotid maximum intima-media thickness (Max-IMT) could be combined with the Framingham risk score (FRS) to improve the predictability of cardiovascular events in dyslipidemic patients who are at low or intermediate risk. Max-IMT was measured by ultrasound in(More)
Increased plasma cholesterol concentration in hypercholesterolemic patients is a major risk factor for atherosclerosis. The impaired removal of plasma low density lipoprotein (LDL) in these patients results in the presence of their LDL in the plasma for a long period of time and thus can contribute to its enhanced oxidative modification. In the present(More)
The effect of the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, captopril, on the development of atherosclerosis was determined in the apolipoprotein (apo) E-deficient mice. These mice develop severe hypercholesterolemia and extensive atherosclerotic lesions on chow diet, similar to those found in humans. Furthermore, in these mice, accelerated(More)
BACKGROUND The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system is involved in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, partially because of its pro-oxidative properties. We questioned the effect and mechanisms of action of administration of aldosterone to apolipoprotein E-deficient (E(0)) mice on their macrophages and aorta oxidative status and the ability of(More)
Atherosclerosis is characterized by macrophage foam cells formation, which originate from differentiating blood monocytes that have taken up oxidized LDL (Ox-LDL) at enhanced rate. Statin therapy exhibit pleiotropic effects on many components of atherosclerosis. We have studied the effect of atorvastatin therapy in hypercholesterolemic patients, on the(More)