Scott M Graham

Learn More
The purpose of the current study was to determine the incidence of distal biceps tendon ruptures within a defined population, to describe the demographics of affected individuals, and to identify potential risk factors. The healthcare system in this study provides care to a known number of members in an area defined by zip codes and proximity to the medical(More)
BACKGROUND The efficacy of using a double-bundle versus single-bundle graft for posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction has not been demonstrated. HYPOTHESIS A double-bundle graft restores knee kinematics better than a single-bundle graft does in tibial inlay PCL reconstructions. STUDY DESIGN Controlled laboratory study. METHODS Eight cadaveric(More)
PURPOSE To review the University of Iowa experience with intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in the treatment of head-and-neck squamous cell carcinoma. METHODS AND MATERIALS From October 1999 to April 2004, 151 patients with head-and-neck squamous cell carcinoma were treated with IMRT for curative intent. One patient was lost to follow-up 2 months(More)
OBJECTIVE The authors review their initial experience with laparoscopic splenectomy in patients with hematologic diseases. Efficacy, morbidity, and mortality of the technique are presented, and other patient recovery parameters are discussed. SUMMARY BACKGROUND DATA Laparoscopic splenectomy is performed infrequently and data regarding its safety and(More)
PURPOSE The role of neck dissection after definitive radiation for head-and-neck cancer is controversial. We select patients for neck dissection based on postradiation therapy (post-RT), computed tomography (CT), and [18F] fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG PET). We summarize the clinical outcomes of patients treated with this policy to(More)
One hundred sixty-five operative cholangiograms were attempted in 364 patients who underwent laparoscopic cholecystectomy (45%). Laparoscopic cholangiography was successful in 150 of 165 attempts (91%). Eighty-nine per cent of studies were normal (134/150) and 11% were abnormal (16/150). All 134 patients with normal cholangiograms remained asymptomatic(More)
Crohn's disease is a rare cause of gastrocolic and duodenocolic fistulas. Only 83 examples (27 gastric, 52 duodenal, four both) have been described. Weight loss, abdominal pain, and diarrhea are common features but fail to distinguish a fistula from active inflammatory bowel disease. Fecal vomiting is pathognomic but is present in one third of gastrocolic(More)
Allergic fungal rhinosinusitis (AFRS) has a worldwide distribution. This survey of 20 otolaryngologic practices throughout the United States confirmed a variation in the frequency of AFRS relative to endoscopic sinus procedures performed for all other diagnoses. The highest incidence occurred in Memphis, Tennessee at 23%, with three other southern practices(More)
OBJECTIVE To compare the long-term, health-related quality-of-life outcomes in patients with advanced head and neck cancer (HNC) treated with surgery and postoperative radiation therapy (SRT) or concurrent chemotherapy and radiation therapy (CRT). DESIGN Matched-pair study comparing patients with advanced HNC treated with SRT or CRT at least 12 months(More)
Three hundred seventy-five consecutive patients underwent laparoscopic cholecystectomy from September 1989 to January 1991. Three hundred forty-one (91%) presented on an elective basis, and the remaining 34 patients (9%) were admitted for acute cholecystitis (24), gallstone pancreatitis (9), and cholangitis (1). Of the 375 patients, 20 were converted to(More)