Learn More
OBJECTIVES We describe the demographics of the decedents from the tornado outbreak in Alabama on April 27, 2011; examine the circumstances of death surrounding these fatalities; and identify measures to prevent future tornado-related fatalities. METHODS We collected information about the decedents from death certificates, disaster-related mortality(More)
INTRODUCTION Previous oil spills and disasters from other human-made events have shown that mental health effects to the affected population are widespread and can be significant. HYPOTHESIS/PROBLEM There has been concern regarding the likelihood that existing public health surveillance was not capturing the mental health effects to the population(More)
BACKGROUND On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon drilling unit exploded off the coast of Louisiana, resulting in 11 deaths and the largest marine petroleum release in history. Previous oil spill disasters have been associated with negative mental health outcomes in affected communities. In response to requests from Mississippi and Alabama, potential(More)
The United States Public Health Service Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration is alerting medical professionals that a substantial percentage of cocaine imported into the United States is adulterated with levamisole, a veterinary pharmaceutical that can cause blood cell disorders such as severe neutropenia and agranulocytosis. Levamisole(More)
On October 27, 2014, CDC released guidance for monitoring and movement of persons with potential Ebola virus disease (Ebola) exposure in the United States. For persons with possible exposure to Ebola, this guidance recommended risk categorization, daily monitoring during the 21-day incubation period, and, for persons in selected risk categories, movement(More)
STUDY OBJECTIVE To characterize the demographic, clinical, and epidemiologic features of levamisole-associated neutropenia in cocaine or heroin users. METHODS State health departments were recruited for participation when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was notified of potential cases by a clinician, a health department official, or a(More)
BACKGROUND Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is an endocrine-metabolic disorder that affects approximately 6-10% of women of child-bearing age. Although preliminary studies suggest that certain pollutants may act as endocrine disruptors in animals, little is known about their potential association with PCOS. The objective of this case-control pilot study is(More)
Our objective was to inform state and community interventions focused on increasing household preparedness by examining the association between self-reported possession of household disaster preparedness items (ie, a 3-day supply of food and water, a written evacuation plan, and a working radio and flashlight) and perceptions of household preparedness on a(More)
Educational outcomes were evaluated for 2,046 preschool children identified with developmental delay. Results indicated that at third grade, 26% were in regular education and the remaining 74% were receiving special education services. The most common disability classifications at outcome were specific learning disabilities and educable mentally handicaps.(More)
reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. Objective To describe the results of the evaluation of the PAILD active surveillance system and lessons learned for similar surveillance efforts in a resource-limited setting. Introduction A liver disease of unknown etiology, called unknown liver disease (ULD) by the community, was(More)