Learn More
The distribution of filamentous actin (F-actin) in invasive and noninvasive hyphae of the ascomycete Neurospora crassa was investigated. Eighty six percent of noninvasive hyphae had F-actin in the tip region compared to only 9% of invasive hyphae. The remaining 91% of the invasive hyphae had no obvious tip high concentration of F-actin staining; instead(More)
Protein nanofibrils offer advantages over other nanostructures due to the ease in their self-assembly and the versatility of surface chemistry available. Yet, an efficient and general methodology for their post-assembly functionalization remains a significant challenge. We introduce a generic approach, based on biotinylation and thiolation, for the(More)
We have used a single cell pressure probe and observed movement of microinjected oil droplets to investigate mass flow in the oomycete Achlya bisexualis. To facilitate these experiments, split Petri dishes that had media containing different sorbitol concentrations (and hence a different osmotic potential) on each side of the dish were inoculated with a(More)
In this study, we investigated the use of the covalent attachment of fluorescent dyes to double-stranded DNA (dsDNA) stretched between particles using optical tweezers (OT) and compared the mechanical properties of the covalently-functionalized chain to that of unmodified DNA and to DNA bound to a previously uncharacterized groove-binder, SYBR-gold.(More)
From 1987 to 1991, 27 patients were diagnosed as atypical mycobacteriosis in our hospital. Some strains of M. avium complex were found to be M. avium and M. intracellulare by means of a DNA probe test. 1. Total cases consisted of 14 males (the average age was 66.7 years) and 13 females (65.7 years). 2. M. avium complex was observed in 24 patients (9 cases(More)
A 66-year-old man was admitted to our hospital with productive cough and fever. Chest X-ray films showed pleural thickening of the right apex and calcification of the lung field. Antibiotic therapy was administered but no improvement was obtained. Chest CT scan revealed pleural thickening with effusion in the right apex. Needle aspiration biopsy was(More)
  • 1