Rosa Maria Lovicu

Learn More
OBJECTIVE The term 'giant prolactinoma' can be used for tumours larger than 4 cm in diameter and/or with massive extrasellar extension. Cabergoline (CAB), a long-lasting dopamine agonist (DA), safe and well tolerated, is effective in normalizing PRL levels and inducing tumour shrinkage in micro- and macroprolactinomas. The purpose of this prospective study(More)
BACKGROUND Resistance to thyroid hormone (RTH) is a genetic disease characterized by a reduced responsiveness of the pituitary and peripheral target tissues to TH. We describe two patients with RTH in whom differentiated thyroid cancer was diagnosed. PATIENT FINDINGS In both patients, RTH was unequivocally diagnosed and both underwent thyroidectomy for(More)
OBJECTIVE Since Cushing's disease due to large pituitary tumors is rare, we evaluated biochemical characteristics at entry and the results of first surgical approach and of adjuvant therapeutic strategies during a long-term follow-up period. DESIGN We studied 26 patients (nine male, 17 female; 42.5+/-12.7 years, mean+/-s.e.) with ACTH-secreting pituitary(More)
Medullary thyroid carcinoma is the least frequent thyroid neoplasm; it originates in thyroid parafollicular cells (calcitonin secreting C cells). In 80% of cases it is sporadic, in the remaining 20% it is familial, associated or not to other endocrinopathies as pheochromocytoma and hyperparathyroidism (MEN 2A, MEN 2B, and isolated familial medullary thyroid(More)
AIM To determine the effect of levothyroxine (L-T4) therapy on the recurrence rate of nodular disease in patients previously treated with lobectomy for benign nodular goiter. METHODS Two hundred and thirty-tree patients (38 males, 195 females; age 49.9+/-13.1 yr) with no post-surgical evidence of nodular disease in the remnant, were followed- up yearly(More)
Main guide-lines of medical therapy of benign thyroid diseases are reviewed. The most common drug therapy of the various forms of hyperthyroidism is represented by thionamide drugs (methimazole and propylthiouracil). Therapeutic protocols are diversified according to the disease. In Graves'disease medical therapy may present the definitive treatment,(More)
Ectopic thyroid tissue is an abnormality caused by aberrant thyroid gland embryogenesis during its passage from the floor of the primitive foregut to its final position. The most frequent place of ectopic thyroid tissue is the base of tongue, whereas lateral thyroid gland is a very rare finding. The present case describes a case of thyroid dysgenesis,(More)
OBJECTIVES To report a first case of 21-hydroxylase deficiency associated with a new genotype determined by V281+I172N/V281L mutations of the CYP21A2 gene. DESIGN AND METHODS Direct genetic sequencing of CYP21A2 gene was performed. RESULTS Both siblings had the same genotype, namely V281+I172N/V281L, while their parents resulted as V281L and V281+I172N(More)
  • 1