Learn More
Patella nonresurfacing in total knee arthroplasty was reviewed retrospectively in 49 knees (42 patients). Thirteen patients (17 knees) died leaving 29 patients (32 knees) in the final study group. The minimum length of followup was 10 years and averaged 11.7 years (range, 10-13.4 years). The diagnosis was primary osteoarthritis in 26 knees, posttraumatic(More)
The results of hemiarthroplasty as treatment for comminuted humerus fractures are poor in elderly patients. While hemiarthroplasty is also an unreliable treatment for rotator cuff tear arthropathy, reverse shoulder arthroplasty (RSA) has been a reliable salvage procedure. The present study examines the result of RSA as treatment for comminuted proximal(More)
This investigation is an ongoing clinical and radiographic analysis of a titanium tapered-wedge femoral component with a proximal plasma-spray porous coating. Integral femoral stems (Biomet, Warsaw, IN) were implanted in 200 hips in 186 patients. Nineteen patients died before 10-year follow-up, and 50 patients were lost to follow-up. The mean follow-up of(More)
Although cementless arthroplasty with a tapered titanium femoral component has proven reliable in young patients with excellent bone quality, studies involving patients with poor bone quality are lacking. The present study evaluates the results of total hip arthroplasty (THA) using such a femoral component in patients with Type C femoral bone. Ninety-two(More)
Eight hundred sixty-two supracondylar humerus fractures were treated between January 1984 and July 1997. Sixty-five (8%) patients were managed with open reduction and internal fixation with pins. The remaining 797 patients (92%) were managed with either casting, closed reduction with or without percutaneous pinning, or traction. Of the 65 patients managed(More)
Data indicate that deep venous thrombosis (DVT) occurs at the time of knee arthroplasty. Nevertheless, literature concerning DVT prophylaxis has only recently addressed this contention. This prospective study evaluated the efficacy of a perioperative prophylactic regimen. Between January 1996 and June 2001, 1,308 knees (964 surgeries) underwent total knee(More)
Two well-matched groups of patients with unicompartmental knee arthroplasties were compared. The first 51 knees were treated with a fixed-bearing knee implant and the second 50 knees were treated with a mobile meniscal-bearing implant. Followup was 7.7 years for the patients with fixed-bearing implants and 6.8 years for patients with mobile-bearing(More)
Modeling techniques are proposed for the purpose of representing the complex, memory-dependent process of adaptive human behavior within the constraints of a simple Markov model. In essence, these techniques involve the development of partitioning schemes that order stage-oriented substates in patterns that are capable of incorporating the past history of(More)
This is a retrospective review of 30 consecutive patients with acute Achilles tendon ruptures treated surgically by a single surgeon between 1992 and 1999. Repair was effected with a 26-gauge "pull-out" wire technique. A compressive dressing reinforced with plaster was employed to immobilize the ankle in neutral for 6 weeks. The hardware was removed 6 weeks(More)
  • 1