• Publications
  • Influence
A Humanized Version of Foxp2 Affects Cortico-Basal Ganglia Circuits in Mice
It has been proposed that two amino acid substitutions in the transcription factor FOXP2 have been positively selected during human evolution due to effects on aspects of speech and language. Here,Expand
  • 411
  • 30
  • Open Access
AMPA receptor subunit 1 (GluR‐A) knockout mice model the glutamate hypothesis of depression
Recent evidence indicates that glutamate homeostasis and neurotransmission are altered in major depressive disorder, but the nature of the disruption and the mechanisms by which it contributes to theExpand
  • 113
  • 7
Folate Deficiency Induces Neurodegeneration and Brain Dysfunction in Mice Lacking Uracil DNA Glycosylase
Folate deficiency and resultant increased homocysteine levels have been linked experimentally and epidemiologically with neurodegenerative conditions like stroke and dementia. Moreover, folateExpand
  • 74
  • 3
  • Open Access
Biochemical and Genetic Studies of UBR3, a Ubiquitin Ligase with a Function in Olfactory and Other Sensory Systems*
Our previous work identified E3 ubiquitin ligases, termed UBR1-UBR7, that contain the ∼70-residue UBR box, a motif important for the targeting of N-end rule substrates. In this pathway, specificExpand
  • 38
  • 3
  • Open Access
Differential behavioral effects of partial bilateral lesions of ventral tegmental area or substantia nigra pars compacta in rats
Akinesia (or absence of movement) is a prominent feature of Parkinson's disease. Akinetic symptoms, however, are also observed in depression and schizophrenia, which support the hypothesis thatExpand
  • 61
  • 2
  • Open Access
Constitutive Genetic Deletion of the Growth Regulator Nogo-A Induces Schizophrenia-Related Endophenotypes
The membrane protein Nogo-A, which is predominantly expressed by oligodendrocytes in the adult CNS and by neurons mainly during development, is well known for limiting neurite outgrowth andExpand
  • 48
  • 2
  • Open Access
Testing different paradigms to optimize antidepressant deep brain stimulation in different rat models of depression.
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) of several targets induces beneficial responses in approximately 60% of patients suffering from treatment-resistant depression (TRD). The remaining 40% indicate thatExpand
  • 17
  • 2
Impact of Actin Filament Stabilization on Adult Hippocampal and Olfactory Bulb Neurogenesis
Rearrangement of the actin cytoskeleton is essential for dynamic cellular processes. Decreased actin turnover and rigidity of cytoskeletal structures have been associated with aging and cell death.Expand
  • 36
  • 1
  • Open Access
Neurochemical characterization of the striatum and the nucleus accumbens in L-type Cav1.3 channels knockout mice
L-type Ca(v)1.3 channels control the autonomous pacemaking of the substantia nigra (SN) dopamine (DA) neurons, which maintains the sustained release of DA in the striatum, its target structure. TheExpand
  • 4
  • 1
Rats overexpressing the dopamine transporter display behavioral and neurobiological abnormalities with relevance to repetitive disorders
The dopamine transporter (DAT) plays a pivotal role in maintaining optimal dopamine signaling. DAT-overactivity has been linked to various neuropsychiatric disorders yet so far the directExpand
  • 6
  • 1
  • Open Access