SELF: The power of simplicity
- D. Ungar, Randall B. Smith
- Computer ScienceConference on Object-Oriented Programming Systems…
- 1 December 1987
Because SELF does not distinguish state from behavior, it narrows the gaps between ordinary objects, procedures, and closures, and offers new insights into object-oriented computation.
Directness and liveness in the morphic user interface construction environment
- J. Maloney, Randall B. Smith
- Computer Science, ArtACM Symposium on User Interface Software and…
- 1 December 1995
Four implementation techniques work together to support directness and liveness in Morphic: structuralReification, layout reification, ubiquitous animation, and live editing.
Effective sounds in complex systems: the ARKOLA simulation
- William W. Gaver, Randall B. Smith, T. O'Shea
- PsychologyInternational Conference on Human Factors in…
- 1 March 1991
We designed an ecology of auditory icons which worked together to convey information about a complex, demanding simulation task, and observed users collaborating on it with and without sound. Our …
Experiences with the Alternate Reality Kit: An Example of the Tension between Literalism and Magic
- Randall B. Smith
- ArtIEEE Computer Graphics and Applications
- 1 May 1986
An overview of the Alternate Reality Kit, an animated environment for creating interactive simulations that is built upon a physical-world metaphor: All objects have an image, a position, a velocity, and the ability to experience forces.
SPOTWorld and the Sun SPOT
- Randall B. Smith
- Computer ScienceInternational Symposium on Information Processing…
- 25 April 2007
The Sun SPOT is a small wireless computing platform that runs Java directly, with no operating system, and comes with an on-board set of sensors, and I/O pins for easy connection to external devices.
Supporting flexible roles in a shared space
- Randall B. Smith, Ronald Hixon, B. Horan
- PsychologyConference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work
- 1 November 1998
If roles were encoded solely in human biology or in physical law, life might be simpler but certainly more stulfiying; but it is the interaction of minds that creates and sustains a role.
Transparent sharing of Java applets: a replicated approach
- J. Begole, C. Struble, C. Shaffer, Randall B. Smith
- Computer ScienceACM Symposium on User Interface Software and…
- 1 October 1997
JAMM is described, a prototype Java runtime environment that supports the shared use of existing Java applets, thus leveraging the existing base of software for synchronous collaboration.
Although the Self project ended in 1995, its implementation, animation, user interface toolkit architecture, and even its prototype object model impact computer science today (2006).
Work rhythms: analyzing visualizations of awareness histories of distributed groups
- J. Begole, John C. Tang, Randall B. Smith, N. Yankelovich
- Computer ScienceConference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work
- 16 November 2002
Some of the benefits and privacy risks associated with the uses of online presence and awareness information and how the patterns vary between individuals and within individuals according to time of day, location, and day of the week are identified.
Programming as an Experience: The Inspiration for Self
The Self system attempts to integrate intellectual and nonintellectual aspects of programming to create an overall experience, and the language, interface, and implementation conspire so that die Self programmer lives and acts in a consistent and malleable world of objects.