Learn More
BACKGROUND Neuroimaging studies have shown that major depressive disorder (MDD) is accompanied by structural and functional abnormalities in specific brain regions and connections; yet, little is known about alterations of the topological organization of whole-brain networks in MDD patients. METHODS Thirty drug-naive, first-episode MDD patients and 63(More)
CONTEXT Most of what we know about antipsychotic drug effects is at the receptor level, distal from the neural system effects that mediate their clinical efficacy. Studying cerebral function in antipsychotic-naive patients with schizophrenia before and after pharmacotherapy can enhance understanding of the therapeutic mechanisms of these clinically(More)
OBJECTIVE The authors used resting-state functional connectivity MRI to evaluate brain networks in patients with refractory and nonrefractory major depressive disorder. METHOD In a cross-sectional study, 28 patients with refractory major depression, 32 patients with nonrefractory major depression, and 48 healthy comparison subjects underwent scanning(More)
BACKGROUND Many studies using diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) have demonstrated impaired white matter integrity in patients with major depressive disorder (MDD), with significant results found in diverse brain regions. We sought to identify whether there are consistent changes of regional white matter integrity in patients with MDD, as shown by decreased(More)
Despite significant advances in the treatment of major depression, there is a high degree of variability in how patients respond to treatment. Approximately 70% of patients show some improvement following standard antidepressant treatment and are classified as having non-refractory depressive disorder (NDD), while the remaining 30% of patients do not(More)
OBJECTIVE Suicide is a major social and public health problem, but its neurobiology in major depressive disorder is poorly understood. The purpose of this study was to use magnetic resonance diffusion tensor imaging to characterize abnormalities of white matter integrity in major depressive disorder patients with and without a history of suicide attempts.(More)
PURPOSE To use diffusion-tensor (DT) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging to explore the integrity and connectivity of brain white matter in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and to correlate DT parameters with clinical measures. MATERIALS AND METHODS This study was approved by the local ethical committee, and written informed consent was(More)
Leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) receptor signaling limits the severity of inflammatory demyelination in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, a T-cell dependent animal model of multiple sclerosis (MS) [Butzkueven et al. (2002) Nat Med 8:613-619]. To identify whether LIF exerts direct effects within the central nervous system to limit demyelination, we(More)
BACKGROUND Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a common neuropsychiatric disorder that is characterized by recurrent intrusive thoughts, ideas or images and repetitive ritualistic behaviours. Although focal structural and functional abnormalities in specific brain regions have been widely studied in populations with OCD, changes in the functional(More)
BACKGROUND Spontaneous low-frequency fluctuations (LFF) in the blood oxygen level-dependent (BOLD) functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) signal have been shown to reflect cerebral spontaneous neural activity, and the present study attempts to explore the functional changes in the regional brain in patients with schizophrenia using the amplitude of(More)