Paulo Maurício do Amôr Divino Miranda

  • Citations Per Year
Learn More
PURPOSE There are many similarities in the clinical presentation of Leber hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON) and in patients who have optic neuropathy and a history of heavy tobacco and alcohol consumption. The main objective of this study is to investigate the frequency of primary and secondary mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) mutations for LHON in patients(More)
PURPOSE Leber hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON) is a mitochondrial disease characterized by bilateral vision loss. More than 95% of LHON cases are associated with one of the three main mtDNA mutations: G11778A, T14484C, and G3460A. The other 5% of cases are due to other rare mutations related to the disease. The aim of this study was to identify the(More)
Mutations in the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) have been associated with aminoglycoside-induced and nonsyndromic deafness in different populations. In the present study, we investigated the contribution of mutations in mitochondrial genes to the etiology of hearing loss in a Brazilian sample. Using mass spectrometry genotyping technology, combined with direct(More)
PURPOSE Leber hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON) is a mitochondrial inherited disease characterized by bilateral vision problems, such as reduced visual acuity, dyschromatopsia, and central or centrocecal scotoma. Of these cases, 95% are caused by three mutations in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA): m.G11778A, followed by m.T14484C and m.G3460A. The remaining 5%(More)
  • 1